Sunday, October 31, 2010

Where are you? - Hawaii

In Canada we can’t grow citrus in our backyards,  there is just something about our seemingly endless winter that doesn’t agree with sunny oranges, or tart lemons, which is precisely why I get excited when I see one. The first time I saw an orange tree I was 24. I was walking down a back alley in San Francisco when I literally squealed in delight at the sight of big plump oranges dangling from a backyard tree. I’ve calmed down a little since then, and I’ve shifted my focus. In Hawaii I would be on a hunt for an avocado tree. Hawaii grows their own special variety and I wanted to see one of those jade monsters in action.  
So after a breakfast fit for a queen ...


... I wandered around neighbourhoods …  





 ... ended up in an arboretum …. 






... but the search goes on ...

No comments: